We Are The Ants ARC Review -- Dear Shaun, Thank you.


We Are The Ants | Shaun Hutchinson
Release Date: January 19, 2016
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Genre(s): Young Adult, Contemporary, LGBT
Pages: 464
Edition: ARC Paperback
Source: Publisher
Rating:





Henry Denton doesn’t know why the aliens chose to abduct him when he was thirteen, and he doesn’t know why they continue to steal him from his bed and take him aboard their ship. He doesn’t know why the world is going to end or why the aliens have offered him the opportunity to avert the impending disaster by pressing a big red button.

But they have. And they’ve only given him 144 days to make up his mind.

Since the suicide of his boyfriend, Jesse, Henry has been adrift. He’s become estranged from his best friend, started hooking up with his sworn enemy, and his family is oblivious to everything that’s going on around them. As far as Henry is concerned, a world without Jesse is a world he isn’t sure is worth saving. Until he meets Diego Vega, an artist with a secret past who forces Henry to question his beliefs, his place in the universe, and whether any of it really matters. But before Henry can save the world, he’s got to figure out how to save himself, and the aliens haven’t given him a button for that.

I received a review copy courtesy of the author/publisher. This does not affect my opinion or views regarding the book whatsoever.

.

REVIEW

When all else fails, write a letter.
and try not to sound like a flailing idiot while you're fangirling lol  

.

Dear Shaun, 
My love for you is like diarrhea, I just can't keep it in
Are you familiar with corny pick up lines? If not, what rock have you been living under, and if so, whattt abouttt this one: " Damn boo, does your feet hurt, because you've been running through my mind all day. " Or what about: " Are you google? Because I've just found what I was looking for. " They both ring a bell right? Well not to sound like the ultimate creep, but . . this is exactly how I feel about you . . errr . . I meant your book. 

Hehe.

Since I busted out the embarrassing pick up lines, I might as well push the embarrassment button again and reveal that I had zero clue you were the author of a few titles, including The 5 Stages of Andrew Brawley. I mysteriously stumbled across your twitter profile one day, and after taking about an hour to bookishly stalk you, (that sounds way better than regular stalking) I decided to end my snooping by looking you up on Goodreads, which is where I found the love of my life, We Are The Ants. How did I not discover you before? How did an author with such talent -- with writing on this type of level, slip under my radar? I feel kinda blindsided here Shaunie, because WHOA, this book was profound, it was important, it was  . . . I don't effing know, everything maybe? And now I feel anything I read after this won't stand a chance, because hellooo, how can you compete with such greatness? You. Just. Can't.

I've been asked a billion times the infamous question, " what do you love the most about this book? " and each and every time my answer is always the same, " everything. " You didn't just write a contemporary novel. You didn't just turn into Bill Nye The Science Guy with all the scientific facts you creatively weaved into the story. You didn't just say, " hey here's a gay character, like him because he's gay!! "

No Shaun, you thought this out.

You aimed to create something that no matter how many times we read it, a different message, hell a different experience will be received. You aimed to create a story where FINALLY, the main character isn't struggling with his sexuality, instead is comfortable and owns every last drop of his gayness. You aimed to create a story where every character was important, even forced us to like the ones we should've hated. In fewer words Shaunie, you aimed high my friend, and you've certainly achieved.

So thank you sir Shaun-alot. Thank you for the raw honesty in your words. For the writing that couldn't be taken at face value, which forced me to think. For the creation of realistic friendships, relationships, for unbreakable bonds. For making me cringe which your depiction of bullying and suicide, for showcasing their effects on an individual. For shining a brilliant light on mental illness, but most importantly, for making a story that matters.

You're the crispy bacon to my eggs. In other words, you're fucking dope.

Your Official Spokeswoman,
Tika

.



Post a Comment