Burying Water Review -- Now This Is What I Call New Adult


Burying Water | K.A Tucker
Release Date: October 7th, 2014 | Atria
Genre(s): New Adult, Contemporary, Suspense
Pages: 368
Edition: Kindle
Source: Amazon
Rating:



Left for dead in the fields of rural Oregon, a young woman defies all odds and survives—but she awakens with no idea who she is, or what happened to her. Refusing to answer to “Jane Doe” for another day, the woman renames herself “Water” for the tiny, hidden marking on her body—the only clue to her past. Taken in by old Ginny Fitzgerald, a crotchety but kind lady living on a nearby horse farm, Water slowly begins building a new life. But as she attempts to piece together the fleeting slivers of her memory, more questions emerge: Who is the next-door neighbor, quietly toiling under the hood of his Barracuda? Why won’t Ginny let him step foot on her property? And why does Water feel she recognizes him?

Twenty-four-year-old Jesse Welles doesn’t know how long it will be before Water gets her memory back. For her sake, Jesse hopes the answer is never. He knows that she’ll stay so much safer—and happier—that way. And that’s why, as hard as it is, he needs to keep his distance. Because getting too close could flood her with realities better left buried.

The trouble is, water always seems to find its way to the surface.


.

REVIEW

Straight Out Of The Lifetime Movie Network 
Grab your snuggie, some popcorn, and a box of tissues for this book folks . . it's THAT good! 

.

Let's start this off by doing a little exercise. Nooo, sit down, sit down, no jumping jacks people, I want you to use your brains for justtttt a second.

Now, thinking back to all of the books you've read this year. Can you think of one that completely blew you away? One that grabbed you by your collar, sucked you into it's words, and consumed your soul with it's bookish greatness? One that was so picturesque, you could've easily been watching a movie in HD, imaginary nacho cheese dripping down your chin and all? Yes? Well good, you've now been inducted into the " how-do-I-live-a-normal-fucking-life-after-reading-this club because GUYS, when I say Burying Water did that and then some, I mean it . . .

 and now I don't know what the hell to do with myself.  

Even though this is my first book by K.A Tucker, I am no stranger to her work. I purchased Ten Tiny Breaths, (first book in the Ten Tiny Breaths series) about a hundred years ago, but like all the other titles I impulsively buy, it's collecting dust, impatiently waiting to be read. But there was something about Burying Water that called to me -- something that increased my urge to read it, forcing me to push aside all of my must-read-now arcs to do so. Making said choice was probably the best decision I've made this year, because following the lives of Alex and Jesse was a tragic, yet incredibly beautiful experience that I'm sure I'll never forget.

Now go, shoo, grab all of your movie snacks and let's get this poppin!

The Mind Can Be A Deceitful Thing. But It's No Match For The Heart.




Clutches Pearls
The story kicks off with an explosive opener that sets the tone for the rest of the book. I had no clue what to expect, (I hardly ever read a book's synopsis anymore lol) so from the start I was completely on edge, desperately trying to piece together the missing fragments. Very reminiscent to those dramatically epic lifetime movies, the plot gave us a delicious recipe of scandalousness -- I'm talking martial abuse, (not that this is delicious or anything) infidelity, hot mechanics, Russian mobsters, near-death experiences . . . look if you can name it, it had it. By the time I finished, I was literally one big ball of emotion, satisfied with such an amazing conclusion, yet completely heartbroken by some events. EMO-TIONAL rollercoaster folks.

The Ping Pong Effect
I don't know about you guys, but I loveeee me a dual or multi-perspective story! I enjoy reading through the eyes of more than one person, which for me not only adds depth, (especially if it's executed well) but brings me closer to the characters and events. Have you ever felt as if you knew more about the MC's because you were reading from not only their perspective, but from others as well? In my opinion, this increases my connection, which is exactly what happened this time around.
Tucker's take on what I call the " Ping Pong Effect " was brilliant! She brought in both the past and present setting, bouncing us from Jesse's perspective during " then " which consisted of all the agonizingly intense events that led up to the " now, " the present day perspective of Alex. Their stories rolled together like movie reels, and played out just as vividly.

Chemistry 101
Before reading Burying Water, I never actually rooted for a fictional couple. Sure I shipped some of our fave characters, but it wasn't a ship I was completely dedicated to or anything, so if it tragically sunk like the Titanic, then well, good riddance. HOWEVER, I fangirled so hard for Alex and Jesse. Normally I'm not into the whole " Hero Saves The Day " type of thing when it comes to guys, (I love me a badass anti-hero hehe) but there was something about Jesse's strong personality that I craved, something about Alex's fragile manner that intrigued me. From the start their chemistry was undeniable, setting off a spark that slowly grow into blazing flame, creating such an exquisite romance. Trust me, if you're searching for sexy and sensual, then this is your book.

I think it's safe to say that Burying Water is one of the best contemporaries I've read this year. The writing was simple yet gorgeous, nothing gimmicky or forced about it, and matched with a plot this suspenseful, mysterious, and heartwarming, it was no surprise I fell in love with it. With just one title alone, K.A Tucker has became one of my favorite new adult authors, completely topping others on my list, and I can't wait to devour more of her spectacular work!

Have any of you read The Burying Water series or other titles by Tucker?


.



Post a Comment