Now Playing: Nocte -- The fANGIRL Remix


 I'll rip out the AUX cord if you play this in my car.

Pages: 277
Genre(s): New Adult, Contemporary, Thriller
Release Date: November 3rd , 2014 | Lakehouse Press INC.
Edition: Kindle
Source: Purchased
Rating: 

My name is Calla Price. I'm eighteen years old, and I'm one half of a whole. My other half-- my twin brother, my Finn-- is crazy. I love him. More than life, more than anything. And even though I'm terrified he'll suck me down with him, no one can save him but me. I'm doing all I can to stay afloat in a sea of insanity, but I'm drowning more and more each day. So I reach out for a lifeline. Dare DuBray. He's my savior and my anti-Christ. His arms are where I feel safe, where I'm afraid, where I belong, where I'm lost. He will heal me, break me, love me and hate me. He has the power to destroy me. Maybe that's ok. Because I can't seem to save Finn and love Dare without everyone getting hurt. Why? Because of a secret. A secret I'm so busy trying to figure out, that I never see it coming. You won't either.
Track One:  Save Me And I'll Save You 

Tika is NOT a happy camper.
If you remember my April BOTM post, you would have noticed that Nocte was one of the titles listed in the poll. Although you readers chose The Girl On The Train instead, I couldn't help but to pick this up as well -- I mean come on, the cover is beyond beautiful! Mix that with it's intriguing synopsis, plus the rating it has on goodreads, and you'll have the recipe for a damn good New Adult novel right?

* Sigh * Unfortunately No.

Starting off, Nocte was actually pretty good. It's presented as a contemporary, but to my surprise the author added in some twisted, dysfunctional aspects, wrapped it in a bow, then handed it back to me. To say I was excited would be a complete understatement. Told in alternate chapters between Calla Price and her twin brother Finn, we experience first hand just how screwed up individuals could actually be. After their mother was involved in a tragic accident, Calla, her mortician father, and her mentally ill twin, are trying to cope with life following their lost . . . the word trying is used as an exaggeration.

Track Two:  Duo 

As I mentioned earlier, this story is told in alternate chapters between the twins, and right off the bat I knew I would be more interested in Finn's POV than Calla's. While Calla was going boy-crazy over the dark, mysterious, and oh so British-ly handsome Adair Dubray, her brother however, was fighting with inner demons . . . the voices in his head. He begins to notice the liking his sister is taking towards Dare, and in his last attempts to not bring his twin in the darkness with him, he struggles to not let the voices take over, just long enough to keep Calla alive. Sounds amazing right? But with the concept and plot twist that this story consists of, the execution must be SPOT on. There's really no room for error, and for me there was quite a bit. From Calla's annoying-ness, to Dare's interesting character faltering and becoming flat, to the plot twist that held so much promise, but was mangled with pointless discoveries, Nocte easily slipped from the 4 star slot down to a measly 2.

Bonus Track: What I Liked & Disliked
Press Play: Likes
Finn's character & POV.  Finn definitely put the fun in dysfunction in this book. Suffering from a mental disorder called SAD, in his POV we witness just how off the rocker he tried so hard not to be. On the outside he seemed completely normal, but inside that head of his, all hell was breaking loose.

She doesn't deserve you. Kill her you f---ing pussy kill her now. Push her off the cliffs. Lick her bones. Lick her bones. Lick her bones.
(I'm squealing with delight. )

The Setting.  The story was set in Oregon Washington, in the gloomy mountainside town of Astoria. Our characters lived in a funeral home, so being surrounded by death, the craziness of Finn, and the constant rain, you have yourself a mood that's both dark and creepy.

Adair Dubray Adair, better know as Dare, was not only a breath of fresh air for Calla, but for me as well. He was tall, with dark hair and onyx eyes, a British accent (drools) and was quite mysterious. We have no clue as to why he moved to Astoria, or who he's visiting in the hospital, all we know is that he's gorgeous, likes to read & draw, and drives a motorcycle. Unfortunately, that wasn't enough for me.

When I'm upset, he calms me. When I'm breathless he gives me air. When I'm sad, he buoys me. That's all that matters right? 
(No you dummy.)

Press Stop: Dislikes
Calla's character & POV. Calla was the epitome of a lost girl in search of something, anything to fill a void. She was okay in the beginning, but very quickly she became more than annoying. First of all, it irritated my soul to see that Calla, at the age of 18 was so fixated on doing something she had NEVER done before. Her desperation to have sex with Dare was so freaking off putting, like seriously to the point I thought she was going to rape the poor boy! Thank goodness he was mature and didn't take advantage of her, but yeah, I'd be quite satisfied if Calla was removed from the story . . . completely.

He starts to walk pull away, but I stop him with a whisper. " Please don't. I need you. Make it all right. Please. Make it all right. " My whisper is broken and desperate, but I don't care. Because it gets me what I want.
(WTF?)

He stares at me hard. " Calla, when we . . . when this happens, it's not going to be in a house of horrors. It's going to be something you remember. " I look away, annoyed. " Shouldn't that be my choice to make? "
(I'm so done with her.)

Predictable plot & twist. Since the story isn't exactly original, I was hoping for a few twists and turns that would leave me on the edge of my seat, instead I grew a bit bored with the story, wishing around 65% that it would just END. My biggest disappointment with this book besides Calla being a irritating dog in heat was the plot twist. I guessed the big secret two chapters before it was revealed, and to be honest, that wasn't my problem. The plot twist was a decent one, sort of predictable if you're good at guessing, but still a good one. The author completely ruined it for me by watering it down with unnecessary discoveries, and " Oh I don't remember that ," then a couple of paragraphs later " Omg I remember everything! " moments.


Track Three: The Outro

There are plenty of other dislikes I had with this story such as why the kid's father never knew what was going on. He was oblivious to everything! I understand people deal with grieving in different ways, but look sir your children are out here running a muck! One is on the verge of doing something dangerous probably, while the other is desperately trying to get a boy, who you never bothered to get to know, to have sex with her while she's drunk. The same boy might I add, that has enough secrets to last us a lifetime. Which might I also add, is another aspect I disliked.




All in all Nocte was an OKAY read. If you're not that great at guessing plots and twists, can deal with an over-bearing main character, and looking for a darker side of contemporary that's also a pretty fast read, then  maybe, just maybe this is for you.

I can make no promises. 

Post a Comment